Washington State Eastern Region Communications Manager- WMS1 in Spokane, Washington
WSDOT Eastern Region is currently seeking an experienced communications professional who has an extensive background in communications, management, and leadership. This position will be a critical member of regional executive leadership and report to the Regional Administrator. The Communications Manager will assist in the development and implementation of all strategic communications for the Eastern Region, including construction projects, traffic operations, maintenance issues and incident/emergency response. The incumbent will also serve as a key spokesperson with the media and work closely with WSDOT Communications and Government Relations. This position will relay accurate, timely and strategic information using a variety of communication tools and resources.
The Communications Manager will lead the communications team and provide staff with a balanced workplace, promoting training and development for professional growth and upward mobility, employee safety, workforce diversity, and pride in ownership.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment with a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT. To learn more, please watch the following video:* Why WSDOT?*
This position will perform the following work:
- Lead Eastern Region communications for construction, traffic, emergency response, maintenance, and operations issues.
- Independently plan and manage strategic outreach campaigns six months to one year ahead of time while managing communications for emergencies and short-term construction issues and milestones.
- Advise the region's executives and senior staff on communications challenges and opportunities.
- Determine appropriate communication strategies based on analysis of public understanding of WSDOT's goals and policies.
- Manage, lead and develop interagency construction coordination and emergency communications systems by working closely with WSDOT executives, partner agencies and stakeholders.
- Proactively manage WSDOT's social media channels and website content, which influence coverage by local and national media.
- Provide the public, news media, partner agencies, stakeholders and elected officials with time-sensitive information in a 24/7 environment.
- Create and maintain productive working relationships at all levels with internal and external organizations to achieve common communications goals and represent WSDOT at the highest standard.
- Lead the Public Disclosure Request for the region ensuring compliance with all applicable guidelines and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations or related field with a high level of knowledge in media relations.
- A minimum of five years of professional and managerial expertise in the communications field, including demonstrated knowledge of journalism, media broadcasting, public relations, marketing, use of social media, web content development and spokesperson responsibilities for a complex public or private organization.
- Highly developed interpersonal and personnel management skills.
- The ability to implement management and leadership principles, strategic planning principles, and communications and public relations tactics.
- Strong understanding of legislative process and local political climate.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate complex information clearly and effectively to diverse and non-technical internal and external groups.
- A valid driver's license.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer any supplemental questions and attach a cover letter and resume.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Brionna Fernandezat 509-577-1604 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-WMS-6W055
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: $61,620.00 - $79,020.00 Annually
Location: Spokane County – Spokane, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 18DOT-WMS-6W055
Closing: 4/30/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact